Thursday, October 1, 2009

Decisions, Decisions

Well today was our second day of classes. My brain hurts from so much Spanish that speaking in English seems like a welcome relief to my constant thinking. I am taking 18 units and have class everyday from 9:30 to 1:30 then 4:00 to 8:00 (depending on the day, I don't have afternoon classes - thank-goodness). My room mate and I (Julie) are in the midst of a dilemma and could use anybody's advice. Our mama lives way outside of town and it is a 45 min bus ride to school every morning. Quite the drag : (. We have been given an opportunity to move closer to school and town, but there are no promises being made about a better living situation. Our mama is nice, but very quiet and we are kind of fending for ourselves for our meals and what not - not very Spanish. Tough choices, because she is nice enough and we all get along, which is a huge bonus and not the case with everyone in our program. So, feel free to comment... We need some advice. Beyond my current dilemma, Valladolid is wonderful. Its a city that is mainly senior citizens and college students, very similar to SLO lol. It is relatively small and the community is very welcoming. I haven't hit the bar scene here yet, so I can't comment on how that will go, but my classes will be very interesting we get to do a lot of traveling and exploring! Today, we got to witness the Freshman hazing. They crack eggs on their head, tie them together in a HUGE line and drag them around the city while painting and drawing all over them. If you thought Fraternities are bad, you should witness this. The students claim its tradition and everyone goes along with it. Pretty humorous for us outsiders. Oh! Before I forget, the pics are a little difficult to load on this site, my facebook has a bunch if you want to see more. I will be adding more regularly though. Unfortunately, I have no wifi and this cafe is closing... Until next time, Adios!

2 comments:

  1. Will they tell you who you will live with if you change? Julie's family was a man and wife, the wife cooked for her and they both would talk to her about current events or whatever.Maybe it depends on your school's set up, some may require meals as part of the deal and others not. Julie had lots of new and interesting things-octopus or what ever it's called and then some stuff like french fries that were home made by the lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie had the same reaction to speaking and reading Spanish all the time-her program discouraged speaking English ! I remember her remarking on how nice it was to come home and see signs in English.

    ReplyDelete